As a photographer, the most challenging task is to pick the right studio backdrop that makes your subject look outstanding and suffices the purpose of the project.
Whether you are photographing a person or product, backdrop helps you to create an impact that lasts in the memory of the audience.
However, with a plethora of options available on the market, selecting a perfect photography backdrop is not as simple as it seems.
This user guide discusses all the essential factors to look for when choosing a photography backdrop:
An ill-sized backdrop can ruin the photographs. You should be careful with the size for it should match the subject.
Backdrops are available in different sizes like:
- A 5-foot long background is ideal for ¾-length portraits and headshots. Easy to manage and requires less space.
- A 9-foot wide backdrop is the most common size found in most professional studios.
- A 12-foot size is best for full-body portraits of an individual.
- An 8-foot wide by 4-foot long backdrop is perfect for fashion shots, headshots and studio interviews.
- A 10-foot size is ideal for photographing full-size portraits or products.
Material matters the most as it defines the durability and longevity of a backdrop.
Backdrops are available in a variety of materials like:
- Vinyl: Vinyl backdrops offer a long-lasting seamless look and can add charm to your photos.
- Muslin: Made of 100% cotton, muslin backdrops are available in several sizes and patterns. Portable, easy to store and light in weight.
- Canvas fabric: Durability and high-quality make canvas fabric the best material for backdrops.
- Seamless paper: Versatile and inexpensive backdrop option for many studio photographers.
3. Photography type
There are a myriad variety of photography styles, each requiring a different type of backdrop.
General category: Portrait, family, boudoir, candid and product photography.
For instance, a person specialized in portrait photography will probably look for a simple and clean backdrop. Browse a wide range of portrait backdrops and find that fits your creative needs.
Industry-based category: Wedding, corporate, birthday, fashion and sports photography.
For fashion photography, a person might look for a backdrop with eye catching designs and patterns.
Are you shooting a corporate event at the client’s location?
If yes, look for a backdrop that is portable, light in weight and offers ease of transportation.
Backdrops made of muslin are a popular choice. They are not heavy and can be easily folded up, and carried to the location, offering photographers flexibility in how to use them.
Depending on the type of your event, photography backdrops come in different types of themes, colours, patterns, graphics and textures.
For instance, to add an extra splash of class and beauty to the wedding, you can choose among various wedding backdrop themes like beach, jungle, flower wall, snow, fairyland and more.
And for family portraits, you can choose a white floral backdrop that never goes out of style.
In the end…
A good background can make a photograph stand out above everything else.
Hopefully, these tips will help you make an informed decision.
Visit https://ibackdrop.co.uk/ and check out a range of backdrops for different events like wedding, engagement, birthday, anniversary, Valentine’s day, and more.